You hear about a recession as a slowdown, but if you focus on changes in culture, lifestyle, and technology, a recession is faster than normal times. In evolutionary theory, change happens faster under stress, and we know that a recession can be stressful for most people, so it makes sense that the pace of change would pick up.
It may also be a good time to approach change consciously and intentionally. In other words, now might be a good time for some of the changes you’ve been thinking about for years, or even a good time to reexamine and redesign your life. Here are five reasons why:
- You might be forced to change if you lose your job, investments go bad, or your favorite pizza place closes.
- You might have more time to focus on yourself if your work hours or entertainment spending are cut back.
- Change happening all around you makes it easier to get in the flow of change. When everything is changing, people expect you to change too.
- There are new opportunities as a result of other people’s initiatives.
- It’s easier to get help because other people are in the same situation, with a greater need to change and more time to dedicate to it.