Saturday, September 27, 2008

An Urgent, Secret Business Opportunity

For today I was going to write a fictional dialog between a voter and a canvasser — a compaign volunteer going around knocking on doors on behalf of a candidate. The canvasser would emphasize the need to take $10,000 of the voter’s family’s money and pass it along to people in need on Wall Street. Oh, and by the way, could the voter please make a contribution to the candidate’s campaign?

But Charles Fulwood of the Nader campaign last night posted a far more creative treatment of this issue:

My Dear, Dear Citizen,

How are you doing? I hope this letter finds you and your family in good health and living prosperously. God knows, our families are the most precious assets in our lives.

I write to you with great reluctance, but this matter is of such importance that I must put aside my normal reservations and pride.

With great humility, I need to ask you to support an urgent, secret business opportunity with a transfer of funds of extraordinary magnitude.

(continue reading)